The final four of the Super-Welterweight tournament took an unanticipated turn at RWS Muay Thai today.
Many fans were predicting a Petchmorakot vs Daniel Rodriguez final. However, both fighters were on the wrong end of the judges score cards in their semi-final bouts today.
Thananchai and Petchmorakot were level on the open scoring at 19-19 with all three judges after two rounds. The result was declared a split decision in favour of Thananchai Sitsongpeenong.
Daniel Rodriguez vs Yodwicha
In the other semi-final, Yodwicha faced his nemesis Daniel Rodriguez in a trilogy bout. The pair met twice in last years tournament, with the unbeaten Rodriguez winning via split decision on both occasions. Still undefeated in his 41 career bouts coming in to this fight, many predicted a third victory for Daniel Rodriguez.
After two rounds, two judges had the fight 20-18 in favour of Yodwicha, with the other judge scoring it 19-19. Naturally, Daniel Rodriguez needed a knockdown in the third round if he stood any chance of winning the fight.
Rodriguez dominated the third as Yodwicha protected his lead. The round finished and Yodwicha was awarded a unanimous decision. The result left many fans frustrated and airing their opinions on the bout across social media.
RWS Muay Thai results
- Buakaw Banchamek vs Yasuhiro Kido ended in a No Contest due to an accidental clash of heads
- Daniel Rodriguez lost to Yodwicha via Unanimous Decision
- Petchmorakot lost to Thananchai Sitsongpeenong via Split Decision
- Shadow SinghMawynn beat Shokhruz Venum Muay Thai via Knockout in Round 2
- Nadaka Eiwa Sports Gym beat Soulixay Madaramchara via Knockout in Round 1
- Issei Wor. Wanchai beat JJ Sor. Gaikia via Knockout in Round 2
- Saya Ito lost to Mongkutpetch Kiatkasem via Unanimous Decision
- Petch Woranij beat Guo Yukun via Knockout in Round 1
- Pikunthong Sabprida lost to Saenngarm Lekmuangpetch Gym via Unanimous Decision